Everything About Gag Reflex
Gag reflex is also called as pharyngeal reflex. When some item touches your soft palate contraction take place at back of the throat to prevent choking is known as gag reflex. It occurs because of body's self defense mechanism. Because of constant gag reflex you may have problems in eating food, medicines, oral sex and visiting to dentist. Gag reflex phenomenon is useful for us but when it is overactive you want to get rid of it.
Methods for Reducing Gag Reflex
- Raise your legs above so that abdominal muscles become stretched and this tightening of muscles reduces gag reflex.
- Place small amount of table salt on your tongue.
- Most of the dentists give numbing agent to stop gag reflex when all other methods fail.
- Take deep breath through your nose as deep breathing show claming effect and nose breathing uses different air passage. This easy method helps in reducing gag reflex.
- Local anesthetic is spread on affected are to stop gag reflex for specific period of time.
- Start brushing area where gagging start. Brush little area every day and continue even after gaggling start. Move deeper inside the throat when you stop gaggling at previous This method is called desensitization which definitely reduce your gag reflex.
- Hypnotherapy and acupuncture are other alternative methods which are also responsible for reducing gagging.
Tips to Reduce Gag Reflex
- During desensitization method don’t start brushing too far back. Do it only one time and breath through nose during brushing.
- Use nasal decongestant before visiting to dentist because it will help you to stop gaggling for some period of time.
- Drink very cold water before visiting dentist as it is said that it helps in reducing gag reflex for specific period of time.
- Prefer electric toothbrush having small head for brushing your teeth as jerking motion may cause gagging. Gradually enhance your brushing area.
Spread your Buzz here..